Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
- In The Wider Perspective Of Things - There Really Is No Such T

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on September 28, 2004 12:52:21 UTC

Fortunately, no one is in a position to be compelled to choose unrighteousness since in the smallest of matters they can freely choose to be righteous if they want to be. This is how, I believe, it is possible for free will to exist.
------------------------------------

Well, I cannot say that I followed your argument entirely. Most of it I agree with. But then most of it is an argument that on the narrow perspective of things, free will does exist.

For a while the beginning you and the final you terminology escaped my understanding. But then if I reinterpreted the beginning you as the soul, and allowed your chioces in a given lifetime to turn the soul towards good or evil, then I understand.

Where I depart is the claim that God knows the outcome to begin with. I think god has intentions and can influence us, both by word and coincidence, in my experience. And also by love out into our hearts to influence our choices. We seem to agree on much of that but part ways on whether god knows the outcome ahead of time.

If god is somehow outside of time, then god is not part of the material universe and I cannot imagine how such a god could influence us. For such a god to connect to us, at least two gods are necessary, the god outside of time and another god inside of time. Now perhaps the two gods can communicate and one could tell the other what the future is. But I suspaect that physical laws would prevent that. Besides the god outside of time would be a completely static god, inconsistent with most religions, especially the eastern ones.

So I guess I find the omnificient, omnipotent god rather unappealing. I prefer a god or gods that are in the thick of it with us. I prefer a relationship with god that is a two-way street- one where god needs us as much as we need god. You can substitute helps for needs. Mary in a statement at Fatima, I believe, said that if enough of us say the Rosary often enough and long enough, then she will convert Russia from atheism. For me that is evidence that god needs our help.

Richard

PS: I find just discussing things with you preferable to the interference of the idiots that used to contribute to this forum.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins