Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Voted For This Before I Voted Against It

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 29, 2004 01:45:18 UTC

[i]"They are not ultimately decided. If the eternal god exists out of time, then the ultimate decisions are made before time even begins. So what is our purpose here if what ultimately happens is already decided?"[/i]

Yes and no. The mystery to this is how can the future already exist if we haven't made our decisions yet. But, this is not really a mystery. We have examples of this in our daily life. All we have to do is look to our past. Yesterday, did you make any decisions? I'm sure you did. Did you feel you had made those decisions mostly freely (I assume this is the case)? So, what is different than the future? If the past exists, then it either always existed, or it came to exist at some point in time. However, if it came to exist at some point in time, then prior to the point that it existed, it must have been 'certain' since it certainly happened as it did. If it was 'certain' prior to its existing, then where is the free will? Remember, it was just as 'certain' at the time of the big bang, which means that the events that occurred yesterday - either if they existed eternally or existed as 'certain' to occur - were all decisions made from the foundation of the world.

The same goes for God. Whatever God did yesterday is certain. But, if is certain today, then it is equally certain before he did that particular action since, in fact, God did that particular action as recorded in Heaven. So, any and all actions of God were certain - or ultimately determined - from God's first conscious moment (if such a moment exists), or if you prefer, the ultimate decisions were made before time began.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins