Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Good Idea! It Was Getting A Little Cluttered!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Astrophysicist on June 30, 1998 13:02:04 UTC

I've heard of the ponctiere system before, but i don't really know much about it. I'll definitely have to check out those books. Anyways, what quantum tunneling is, is instantaneous transportation of a particle through an area of space. This is also talked about a little bit in those books I mentioned to you. We first discovered it by observing particles hitting a "wall" of some sort. The scientists noticed that a few of the particles appered on the other side of this wall, without any apparant way of getting there, since the particles they were using just didn't have enough energy to smash through the wall. So they did a lot of calculations with those nice advanced math systems of theirs,and noticed that the particles were apparantly "borrowing" energy from other places and using that energy to somehow transport themselves "over the wall." After a bit of experimenting, they found that these particles transported themselves that distance virtually instantaneously, even if the distance and speeds involved had the particle travelling faster than light. This is one of the same processes that allows matter to get out of black holes. But that's a whole different problem in and of itself. Anyways, I was thinking that it would be neat if we could somehow "feed" the particles that energy and make them "jump" where we wanted. They tell some more about it in those books, and I think that you'll find it real interesting. I certainly did!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins