Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Travelling Into The Future Is OK .

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Galnew Einhaw on July 28, 1999 01:58:52 UTC

: ::::::::::::: : I would really like to hear you elaborate on why you think "time travel is not fiction, only the technology is holding us back."

: The first thing you have to prove to me is that the future or the past are actually tangible "somethings" you can travel to. Then we'll tackle the position problems since any travel to "somewhen" else also has to involve travel to "somewhere" else. (We are obviously moving thru space as we speak.) How you intend to calculate "where" those specific places in a target past/future are should prove really interesting.

Time travel into the future happens to almost everyone, everyday in infintesimal amounts, just by movement(the faster you move, the slower time ticks), or elevation (the stronger the gravitational feild, the slower the pace of time) these are directly from special and general relativity. So, to make the time travel of science fiction science fact, we would need to be able to reach extremely high speeds, and travel for a long time. Say you travel in a spaceship (already have them) near the speed of light (can't do this yet) for a couple years. when you return to Earth, five, ten, a hundred, or a thousand years could have passed (depending on your speed). Thus you have travelled into the future. This will happen and has been proven, the only problem is the technology of achieving these enormous speeds.

These ideas are pretty simple and have been around for a long time. It is Travelling into the past that people don't like the implications of (kill your father so you are never born).

Up to this point I believe I have a pretty good understanding of what I am talking about, as it is relatively :) easy stuff. If you are a physicist though, feel free to help me out as I am only a student and just beginning to learn about our fascinating universe.

Travelling back in time:

In the book I mentioned before, Igor Novikov explains a possible "Time Machine" for travelling back in time, It's really cool. But I'm not going to explain it for fear of 'false translation' (AKA, I don't know exactly what I'm talking about).

If you are interested, It is the last chapter in the book "The River Of Time", but you should have some idea about General Relativity as it deals with time in gravitational fields as I mentioned earlier.

Re: The "somewhere, somethings and somewhen"

I don't really understand what you mean by this.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins