Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Travelling Into The Future Is OK .

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by daViper on July 30, 1999 00:42:42 UTC

: By the way, thanks for the conversation daViper.

: : When I say Travelling into the future, I mean you age five years, the rest of society ages one hundred, one thousand, or whatever. Yes, this is a result of Time Dilation, and this is what I am refering to as time travel (you can still be alive thousands of years in the future, not a thousand years in your future, however the future of the Earth). This is theoretically possible, via Special Relativity, I beleive you agree on me with this, it's Time Dilation. Whether you call it Time Travel or not is unimportant. It's the effect of being alive in a thousand years (on Earth) that I am saying is possible. This has nothing to do with super-light speeds. Only near light speeds. Please reply to this one specifically, so I can tell what your point of view is, and know exactly what you are refering to when you say 'Time Travel'(daViper). You appear to be very much against 'it' whatever your definition of 'it' is. The time dilation idea mentioned above IS possible, right? You must agree, especially if you understand Relativity.

: There are no paradoxes occuring in Travelling to the future this way, as you must move through space, and you only exist in one time/reality. If you do see paradoxes with this (Flying away at high speeds, say .9c) please mention them so I don't misunderstand your view.

: Once again, thanks for the chat. ::::::::::::: And thank you likewise. I enjoy good banter with a good conversationalist even if we never come to a complete understanding of one another.

To the point tho...

The whole time dilation thing is still just a RELATIVE issue.

Using your very points, we do exactly what you are describing on a daily basis. One can expand the speeds involved to induce a NOTICABLE difference in the aging process of two separat individuals, but it is still no different from me getting in my car and going to work every morning. I just go slower than our hypothetical travelling twin.

I still advance to the future, (tonight), and hopefully a few more years yet.

The twin who advances 5 years in age while the earth advances 1000, still does nothing fundamentally different from what you and I do every day. It's just that with you and me, it's so slight we don't notice. But it is still very real.

So I indeed DO agree that time dilation is very real, but it is also relative in how it is percieved. As such, I therefore see nothing special about it as some situation that constitutes time travel. Regardless of how fast you appear to procede into the future from someone else's frame of reference (FOR), we are nevertheless proceeding along the SAME timeline together. If you stay behind, you age faster. (We could get real philosophical on THAT issue.)

When I am born, I procede to the future some 70-80 years later. How is that fundamentally different from the astronaut who gets his clock slowed even further than ours runs, and gets to live all the way to what would also be 1000 years in the future for us, if we were lucky enough to live that long? I just can't see this as time travel although I've seen a few folks refer to it as such. In my view, mistakenly so.

I mean if that's time travel, so is day to day life, by THAT definition.

My reference to supralight velocoties was a separate issue. That's where some have speculated that the possibility for real time travel lies, but as yet I don't see it. It's not time dilation I'm talking about here in this case.

QM has a "multiverse" theory also, but I still fail to see how that constitutes time travel either. Dimensional travel maybe (whatever that might be), but if you go to another universe, how have you traveled in time in this one? That's assuming these other universes even exist which I say the jury is still out on.

Here's a rambling for you.

My Occam's Razor says there are no other universes. Here's why. If there is even ONE more, there must therefore be an infinite number of them since no matter how many anyone can concieve of, I can always concieve of at least one more.

If there are infinite universes, everything that is ever going to happen, already has, and is happenning right now.

I do not believe the "Universe" needs to be this complicated, hence, there is only one.

And in it, the past is gone and the future hasn't happend yet. Therefore, the past or future are not real accessable entities one can travel to since they really do not exist in the first place.

(See my post above on "Time Travel?....To What?)

Thanx for your time.

Talk to you later.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins