Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Travelling Into The Future Is OK .

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by daViper on July 29, 1999 00:52:28 UTC

: OK

: Time Dilation, under certain cicumstances, will produce time travel. Not in the '"Zap" your in the future' sense, but that you have taken five years, and are one hundred years in the future. If this isn't "time travel". You travel through time at a different pace. You can go one hundred years into the Earth's future by aging only five (say). Can you deny this? It is the same "where" as you are travelling through space as this occurs. There is no "Jump". ::::::::::::: I still do not buy this as time travel for the simple reason that if you do all this without ever leaving sight of the Earth, it still happens the same way. The time of the earth is still unfolding right in front of you and you are seemingly going thru it faster because your clock is running slower BUT....this is still NO DIFFERENT from what we do every day all the time anyway. It happened to the astronauts on the trips to the moon, albeit to a lesser degree, but everything IS relative. They didn't time travel and neither does our hypothetical twin. They never left the same timeline we all live in.

: As for the grandfather paradox:

: This does not mean traveling back in time is impossible. For all we know this may NOT be : paradox, and know one has yet to solve it. :::::::::::: I'd be interested in hearing how you think going back in time and killing your grandfather before your mother was born is NOT a paradox. (I've heard a few of them, but I'd like to hear yours.)

Just as with the Twin Paradox (now we know that the physics in itself destroys this one). ::::::::::::: I don't know what you mean by this. What physics destroys what? The Twins (non) paradox is very real and can be acomplished with technology we have today. (See below on the moon trips)

The same could be true. You can not just accept it because it is logical, as modern physics is not logical! If you think Quantum Mechanics is logical, WHEW! :::::::::::: I do not think QM is logical at all at the forefront of it. That's the problem. They are the ones who are postulating the possibility of time travel, not the relativists. Relativity does NOT allow for time travel. Even Einstein said this. The only POSSIBLE allowance for it in relativity is exceeding light speed and THAT is not possible in relativity. Even if you could, Einstein only ever speculated the POSSIBILITY of it allowing time travel, not any valid hypothesis for it, and definetely no theory. Frankly, I'd like to see anyone's theory on just WHY exceeding light speed produces time travel. It's all WILD speculation, that he never bought into either, on how to skirt relativity or explain the EPR paradox in QM.

For me, time travel is a purely romantic idea and flight of fancy that has no foundation in physics. QM, Relativity or otherwise. It is a purely whimsical notion that we've allowed to suit our fantasies for the old religious idea of an angel manifesting itself and giving us a year to live over or some such similar nonsense. It's just a 20/21 century version of a 2nd century fantasy. Or Earlier.

Then there is STILL that positional problem I mentioned.

: : Have to go to work, I'm not finnished yet though AAAAAHHHHH!!!

::::::::::: Talk to you later...

Peace

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins