Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Travelling Into The Future Is OK .

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by daViper on July 30, 1999 19:17:06 UTC

: OK, so we agree on the time Dilation/Travel issue, except for the name, funny you know, at first I was confused about what you were trying to say, but were talking about he same thing, just calling it something different, which has no effect on the phenomenon what so ever, so I'll drop it!

: Now for a more heated arguement :)

: Travelling Back in time:

: This I have no personal opinion on as of yet, as I do not know enough about the details (mathematics) of Quantam theory OR General Relativity. However, from what I have studied it is very interesting what possibilities are still open.

: Somewhere someone mentioned that travelling back in time would cause the person to travel not only backwards in time but also 'sideways' and into a different reality (such as the ones predicted by QM, as you were talking about). This would eliminate the Grandfather Paradox, because if you killed your grandfather in an alternate reality/universe then you would not be born in THAT universe, and would still have been born in your own.

: I find this interesting, but nothing to get excited about, as it provides no means or method, and these alternate realities are still rather shady.

: I mentioned earlier about the Twin Paradox being destroyed by the laws of Physics, what I meant was exactly what you said, 'Nature does not allow paradoxes'. Thus if there is the appearance of a paradox, the laws of nature will weed out whether it is true or false, we just have to dig deep for the answers (assuming we can understand them).

: Please note that through out my post I use the laws of Physics and nature interchangebly, as well as alternate realities and universes. ::::::::::::::: Yes I think we are finally getting on track with each other here. Semantics can be both enlightening and confusing since it does appear the we do agree and HAVE meant the same thing all along, we just have different ways of expressing our perception if it.

The multiverse or other reality thing (hypothetically) could skirt the grandfather paradox as you say, but in my view, this is also NOT time travel since, by the very nature of the alternate reality, you have not traversed time in this one.

Peace.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins