Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Think, You Can.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on November 5, 2001 21:08:57 UTC

I think, being slightly above EH you should see a photon emitted FROM BELOW event horizon.

The observer far away will NOT see this photon, because it takes more energy than the photon have to ascend that high up. But the observer who is close to the place of birth DOES still see such photon (although being red-shifted).

This means, that as you move closer to black hole, visible size of event horizon SHRINKS. Because you will ALWAYS be able to catch a photon if you are close to it, than trying to plunge into event horizon is unseccessfull - it (EH) will always receed from you no matter how deep INSIDE black hole you already are.

But this is also what distant observer sees: you being always OUTSIDE EH (due to gravitational time dilation he never sees you CROSSING EH).

So, do you ever cross EH (falling onto BH) or you don't cross it even from the point of view of your (=proper) reference system?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins