Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Alex, Make A Choice...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on November 6, 2001 01:24:42 UTC

I think you must choose between the two "types" of photons: virtual or real?

Virtual can turn real and hence radiate away to distant observer (Hawking radiation) so nothing new here.

However if you are asking if a real photon can be seen by local observer (just a few feet away) that was born behind EH, then I would say the answer is NO. Afterall, why should real photon be created when the charge matter behind the event horizon has long since been destroyed? You may say that star appears to be in state of eternal collapse (red-shifting and becoming dimmer and dimmer), but then you're asserting that you see photon that was created just before star plunged beyond event horizon as percieved by outside observer. Perhaps approaching observer doesn't see receeding event horizon, but rather simply perceives receeding collapsing star(??). All emitted photons in this case, come from collapsing star, and astronaut can never tell at what point he crossed horizon. He simply thinks that he is chasing after surface of run-away star.

Distant observer simply sees astronaut freeze on the surface of vanishing star...(??)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins