Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Going Into A Black Hole.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Freeballs on September 13, 2000 22:13:05 UTC

From what I understand of motion and time, the faster you go, the slower your perception of time passage right? Just like the fact that a watch placed on a space shuttle that is synchronized with a watch on earth will come back from orbit showing a time difference. My theory is that if a human were to ever travel near enough to a black hole, their speed would increase towards the speed of light as they got "sucked" in. Their perception of the time it takes to reach the horizon would become longer and longer because to them, time would pass more slowly. As they approached the event horizon, their speed would approach the speed of light and their perception of time would stretch out relative to "earth time". Wouldn`t that person realize immortality as their perceived time passage relative to that on earth slowed to zero?

P.S. I didn`t even want to bring the increase of mass with an increase of velocity thing into this question.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins