Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Tasco Cont

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by L Madia on February 27, 2002 04:34:04 UTC

I have a 114mm reflecter, 900mm focal lenth model number 40-114675 Luminova. It was a Christmas present. I have done nothing to it as of yet. I plan to purchase some plossl ep's as soon as I do a better job of investigation the numerous companies and types of ep's I want.

I have a problem with the tripod. It is a eq stand, but it seems a bit unstable. It doesn't keep the scope in position, but it wants to move after I place it one an object. Also, I can't seem to get the stand to balance on the RA axis. The problem may be that the counter balance weight is too light. I have asked Tasco if that could be a problem via their e mail on their web site, but as of yet I have not received an answer.

I think the more I get to know and use the stand the better I can see what I need to do. For example, when I view an object almost directly overhead the scope wants to move backward because it seems the counter balance weight is not enough to hold it in place. I adjust this by moving the weight toward the end of the counter balance rod. When I am looking at an object lower toward the horizen I may have to move the weight back toward the scope assembly. I don't think this is the proper way to operate, but it is the only way I have found to reasonibly stablize the scope on the stand. If you know a way to stop the drift could you let me know?

I don't follow the adjustments you said you made with the stand probibly because I am unsure of the teminalogy. I have read where other Tasco owners have also made adjustments to their stands.

I am aware of the bad rep Tasco has, but to tell you the truth I have really enjoyed mine so far and except for ep's and possible adjustments to the stand I am staying with what I have...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins