Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Meade Etx

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by John Schumacher on April 21, 2003 05:16:47 UTC

Greetings,

I am finally going to get a decent telescope, and I want to make sure that I get the right one, so I'm asking your assistance.

I was going to get an 8" LXD-55 but was concerned about the low contrast for planetary viewing. I am now interested in getting a Mak, but cannot really afford the Meade 7" LX200. I have read some of your recent discussions on the fact that this scope is totally unsuited for astrophotography because of the long focal length, and while I don't plan on doing that now, I won't totally rule that out for the future.

I can afford the Meade ETX-125 however. With the free Aotostar and free deluxe field tripod (how does the built in wedge function? OK for equatorial tracking?), and the $99 eyepiece offer it's too good to pass up.

I talked with someone at OPT, and they said that the ETX-125 was equivalent to the ETX-90 in contrast and resolution, whereas the ETX-105 was superior in both categories. However, the ETX-125 has about 50% more light gathering power than the 105, which means that I'd have a better shot at seeing more obscure DSO's.

Can anyone verify that information, and how are the ETX's for astrophotography? It seems like there may be a clearance problem with the base when taking photos of objects near the zenith.

Thank you for your assistance.

John

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins