Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Oops

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on November 27, 2001 14:20:52 UTC

My fault, http://www.mapug.com I just typed it off the top of my head, there's no "Y".
Finding stuff on your own is a rewarding and challanging experience. Some item are easy, others very difficult. Start with some of the easy ones. M31 the Andromeda Galaxy, see if you can see M32 in the same field of view. M110 is right there also. M42 the Orion nebula is a very easy target. M44 the Beehive cluster in Cancer and M45 the Pleiades in Taurus are both easy and beautiful. The double cluster NGC884/886 in Perseus is wonderful in a small scope. In Auriga open clusters M36, M37 & M38. In Gemini M35, one of my favorites. In Lyre, M57 the Ring nebula, in Sagitta M27 the Dumbell nebula. In Pegasus M15 a wonderful Globula cluster. Try the Galaxy pair M81/M82 in Ursa Major. You'll get both in the same field of view. These are all easy targets you should be able to spot. If you see another Messier item on the charts nearby, go for it, there are plenty. These I list here are all pretty easy. Now it make take some time because you are not familliar with the sky and star hopping. Take your time, it's fun. Try these double stars to, they will be noted on the charts. Alberio in Cygnes, very nice yellow and blue stars. Gamma Andromeda, my favorite, beautiful orange and blue stars. Eta Cassiopeia, a bright white star with an unbelieveably red star next to it. Alcor and Mizar in Ursa Major make up a naked eye double, in the scope you will find Mizar is also a double making it a triple star system, real cool picture. And last the famous Double Double, Epsilon Lyre. You will need your highest magnification for this one. The star split very easily into 2 stars. You can even see it in your finder scope. Using high magnification, each star will split again, look close.
One more piece of advise, use low magnification for all the deep sky objects. Once you find it, you can switch to higher magnification for a closer look, but most will look better with low magnification. The Ring nebula will be the exception because it's small. The doubles will be easier to find with low magnifcation but may look better with high. Good Luck and good hunting. Keep me posted. I'll be expecting a Observation Report in the Observation Forum.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins