Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Semantics? Someone Complained About This Before!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mohammad Isa Mirsiam on September 1, 2001 01:01:08 UTC

I get the impression that the majority of our disagreements tend to be ones of Semantics.

Language is the key to our not being able to understand one another. If we were able to do a Vulcan mind meld we would probably all be confused even more since our minds do not use the same dictionaries. So the problem is, to my understanding, in semantics as you and others have put it. I have always believed in using words that bear a concrete dictionary meaning. Others have complained that getting in to the semantics is not a good way to explain away a misunderstanding. I ask why should we not get rid of the ambiguity by getting rid of misplaced words that have crept in the wrong places. For example I have stated that Christ is not a name and that in order to clear up any misunderstanding one should not substitute the name of Jesus (with Christ) Christ is a title. In the tenements there are pots and pans and pillars that have been anointed and thus they are also called Christ. Are they Jesus too? Can we call anyone who is anointed Jesus? No! Assuredly No! So stop using any word that is not intended to be used in the original sense or meaning of the word itself.

Forever Love & Peace!

Jisbond

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins