Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
If I Could Conclude That God Exists I Would Not Need Faith

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on August 28, 2001 00:03:29 UTC

I se a whole range of god possibilities. Most of which would not be considered god by most people. Included in this spectrum of possibilities is a rather abstract or distant god that makes up the mathematics and selects the constants of physics, and then just lets it all evolve on its own. Or it could be a very personal god. No way to tell. I have more confidence in my belief that there is a supernatural and that the prophecies of prophet may be true, regardless of whether there is a god.

But in my day to day existence, I make the assumption that there is something spiritual out there, or maybe in here. And I try to understand everything on that basis. One conclusion that now, as a result of discussions on this forum, is becoming clear to me, is that if there is a god, then science generates the present day scriptures of god, because they more than any other literature present the known truth.

The arguments on this forum tend to be between those who believe scriptures written over a thousand years ago, and those who are materialists. I see nothing wrong with being a materialist- it's a very logical conclusion to come to. But the argument on this forum leaves out the scientists among us who are spiritual as well. It's not that we are against science as those who only believe the old scriptures. We actually elevate science to the highest levels of thought. The same kind of lofty inspiration that was recorded in those old scriptures is now going into scientific thinking. And we are beginning to understand the true nature of the universe.

There is still a gap between science and religion. But I am confident that with the inspiration of god, exceptionally creative scientists will soon close that gap. Science, especially physics, is done intuitively. You get a hunch that looks good. Then begins the hard work of fleshing out the hypothesis, developing the theory and testing it. But it all starts with inspiration, the same kind of inspiration that gives us poetry, and religion. Even if there were no god, I can see how elements on the supernatural plane can communicate inspiring ideas from one human to another. But that's another story.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins