Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Nothing, But I Think You're Stretching

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on August 3, 2001 00:55:00 UTC

I just want to address one point here:

You're basically arguing that if you say "The universe is a mystery" or "Some things happen for no reason" or "There is an integral order to the universe" is theism.

I don't totally buy that. It's easy to point at someone and say "Do you think the universe has an all-encompassing order to it? Yeah? Well, then you're a theist." It's easy to label someone instead of deal with their opinions. I don't mean to blame you, as I know you are an intelligent person, but let me post a synopsis of your recent arguments with Dick.

Harv: You're an anti-realist.

Dick: No I'm not.

Harv: Yes you are.

I think we spend too much time debating what to call each other rather than pick apart the actual philosophies that lead to those labels. Shouldn't we deal more with the reasons behind the labels instead of trying to paste names on each others' foreheads?

Personally, I would classify theism under belief in a sentient creator. But that's just my interpretation of the label.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins