Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
As Long As We Use them Instead Of Them Resricting Us

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on August 3, 2001 15:54:03 UTC

Hi Aurino:

I agree that labels are useful to classify issues, however I think Harv has been overdoing it. It's great to come to a consensus on the meaning of terms, but I got the impression that Harv is trying to argue based solely on the labels instead of trying to settle disagreements. Under Harv's definition of theism, pretty much everyone is a theist, me included. But I hate it when people argue based solely on those labels. If I am a theist according to Harv, so what? My opinions on the issue haven't changed, and I still disagree with him. Actual opinions should be given a higher priority than enlarging or shrinking certain pigeonholes.

Just to avoid any obfuscation (great word) I'll define my definitions here:

Strong Theist: Someone who believes in the God of a dogmatic religion (A non-rational based belief system)

Weak Theist: Someone who believes in a sentient creator (anything less than sentient I don't think would qualify as God; hence, no theism)

Weak Agnostic: Someone who says we can't know whether or not God exists, but believes in some form of divine power, whether sentient or not.

Strong Agnostic: Someone who says we can't know whether or not God exists, but may suspect some form of divine order.

Weak Atheist: Someone with no belief in God.

Strong Atheist: Someone with belief in no God.

My personal opinions fall somewhere in between weak atheism and strong agnosticism: I don't believe in any God, but suspect some form of greater power.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins