Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Think This Argument Is Getting A TAD Cyclic.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on June 18, 2001 00:23:54 UTC

I AM NOT SAYING THAT OUR CURRENT SCIENTIFIC BELIEFS ARE CORRECT. I AM SIMPLY SAYING THAT OBJECTIVE TRUTH EXISTS AND IT CAN BE DESCRIBED.

"If one perception is accepted by the majority, then that perception becomes the TRUTH."

If and ONLY if that perception is based on a subjective thing (ie: color.) Then red is whatever the hell you want it to be, because red has NO meaning outside of human consciousness. If everyone in the world believed that asparagus is delicious, then asparagus would be delicious. These are "beliefs" about personal experiences, and since they have no objective or external reality, they can be considered "truth" to a certain extent. But when you apply this reasoning to objective, outside reality, as in Sagan's dragon in the garage example, you can believe it with all your heart and you will still be dead wrong.

Getting back to the main point, this is what is wrong with religion. It claims to know the nature of objective, external reality and offers no real defence for that claim. If religion was an entirely internal affair (such as some forms of simple spirituality) I would have no problem with it. That is what I've been trying to say all along, and I can't even begin to understand how you can disagree.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins