Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Should We Play The 'how Do You Know?' Game?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on April 27, 2001 17:00:37 UTC

Hi Paul,

If you state something that you 'know' is certain, my response is 'how do you know?'. So, I'll just carry this out and try to anticipate your answer (sorry if I don't properly anticipate your next response):

Paul: "One thing exists for sure: Thought".

Harv: "How do you know?"

Paul: "Because I label 'thought' any thing on my behalf that requires thinking, and since I am in the process of labelling therefore I must be thinking therefore thought exists".

Paul: "Well, funny you asked that question, the reason I know that I am labelling something is because I am now in the act of doing it and I can see from my actions that I have completed that task of labelling, therefore I know I have just labelled something".

Paul: "Darn you Harv, you ask such insightful questions. The reason that I know that I have completed the task of labelling is because I have this perception of the world since childhood that has always confirmed when I have labelled something and when I haven't been so successful (such as when I was drunk one time the words and thoughts just didn't do the job, and I knew it even at that time)".

Paul: "Where did you come to such an insightful question? Okay, the reason why I know that my perception is correct is because if it wasn't correct then I would certainly have fallen off a cliff and not be around any longer to engage in this delightful and original conversation with you."

Paul: "Well, I'm assuming that I can't continue having conversations once I have fallen off a cliff from poor perceptions on my part".

Paul: "I guess I can't know as in really 'know', but it is ridiculous to think that I could have different perceptions than what I have about thought, the process of labelling, the perception of completing a task, as well as thinking nothing would change if I had a different perception. Therefore your line of questioning is not pertinent to be knowing what I know - at least about thought existing".

Paul: (silence)

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins