Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Don't Covet The Things I Own (like My Wife).

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 19, 2001 22:16:21 UTC

Many have argued (correctly I think) that the old testament laws were based on the idea that women and children were the property of men and were designed to protect men's rights to their property.

I'm of the opinion that if God really existed then concepts like this would not have been so different in the recent past.

I'm not sure how the property idea applies in this particular case, however.

The idea here seems to be that if a woman is raped where she can be heard (in the city) and doesn't cry out then she's obviously a willing accomplice (what an outdated idea of the psychological trauma of rape!) and worthy of full punishment (death) as is the rapist.

If it happens in the field where she can't or is less likely to be heard then don't assume she's an accomplice. Only the rapist is guilty. What about the rapist in the city who threatens her if she yells out?

This reminds me of the unfair rationale the inquisitors used to discover witches.

Atheists have posted some very interesting bad-sounding biblical quotes. Here's one I noticed:

http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/nbwposath.htm

Another list, I can't remember exactly how I came across it, was more fun. It was intended as a cure when you see that Gideon's Bible in the hotel room. It had things like rabbits were supposed to eat their cud (well, they seem to be chewing something!), and some birds crawl on all fours! (were these very large insects?). Perhaps you'll enjoy them as much as I did.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins