Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Do Extraordinary Claims Really Require Extraordinary Evidence

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on March 6, 2001 13:41:00 UTC

I would rule out resurrection on the basis on reincarnation. The origin of the concept of resurrection was in Judaism. Yet by the time of Christ the concept of transmigration was already replacing the concept of resurrection. Transmigration is the migration of the soul from a dying or dead body to a newly born body.

Further developments especially in the Kabbalah, brought the concept more in line with Eastern concepts of reincarnation where consciousness as well as the soul survives death (but normally consciousness does not survive rebirth). By the way, Eastern thinking also includes resurrection for beings that are sufficiently advanced that they can choose human life or the other life, whatever that is.

In reaction to the mystical thinking of the Kabbalah, mainstream Judaism went in the direction of NO afterlife, no resurrection, no heaven or hell as far as humans are concerned, probably no angels. All that is left is God and the Torah (the scroll on which is handwritten in Hebrew the Books of Moses). It almost seems that the Torah gets more respect. So in my humble opinion, no offense please, mainstream Judaism comes close to no god.

My wife was Jewish and I converted. So for a number of years I had a good deal of contact with the people and the Temple. Several times my Jewish friends expressed amazement that I really did believe in god and an afterlife. Had the same experience in the Unitarian Church.

But that is a digression from resurrection. My bottom line is that I think all religions are true; and probably both reincarnation and resurrection are true in the eastern sense. If it's a miracle, it's the "miracle of life" that is or will be someday available to all of us.

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins