Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Guilty

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on February 27, 2001 20:46:14 UTC

Although you didn't name me, I assume you at least include me in your list of posters who use "humanities" as a derogatory term needing no further explanation.

I did not intend to portray myself that way. It appears obvious to me that I need to put more effort into studying nonscientist authors to gain a more balanced view of the relative merits of science and humanities. I find I get quickly tired of reading books full of opinions without scientific evidence.

I'll have to confess that my mother's M.A. in English and her strong belief in religious miracles, UFO conspiracies, and pseudoscientific remedies does not build my confidence in a scientifically-weak, humanities-strong education. On the other hand, my father believes the same kinds of things despite his B.S. in Civil Engineering.

My goal was not so much to attack humanities but to attack anyone attacking science, especially those doing so from a religious point of view. I want to verbally attack groups that consider science just another worldview equal to any other. I want to verbally defend science from those who would set themselves up as the wise men of our planet but who attempt to reduce the relevance of science.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins