Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Re: If You're Interested

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on February 17, 2001 20:54:40 UTC

My big thing in my life, according to esoteric sources, was to oppose the deployment of Star Wars. Supposedly I had sgreed to accomplish this before I was born.

Now I have no idea if any of that is true.

But what you just said about god being behind everyone reminded me t of that. In my case it seems that whatever god is, beit a single being or a hierarchy, he or it gave me marching orders for this lifetime. Supposedly I had similar ordersd for previous lifetimes, but always failed and was usually banished from society.

If god were all powerful, why should he/she bother to get us to do the work?

But on the other hand, use of the word GOD gives us power in our pronouncements. Suppose for example, I said that a committee made up of dead relatives and friends decided that I was in a position to do something in this lifetime, and that it had the blessings of the higher-ups. Not much power in such a statement. But if I said that GOD commanded me to do this thing, then the public would react, one way or the other. Talking of a weak god who needs our help to accomplish things, as demonstrated by how often he/she has told us to do things in the scriptures, would seemingly undermine the strength of religion and its public image.

I suspect that heaven is well organized with the superior intelligences rising to the top and with good if not exacting being control up and down the hierarchy. So in that sense God rules in heaven, but the evidence is that god rules on earth by way of persuasion.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins