Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: It's Embarrasing When A Scientist Becomes A Believer.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on February 7, 2001 21:43:13 UTC

Wouldn't it only be embarrassing to the rest of the atheistic scientific community when a scientist becomes a believer? I know a couple of scientists who've come to believe; they haven't given up their 'careful training', only been more enthused and in awe of it.

It is questioned why the bible isn't more specific in how things were put together, but for someone reading it the first time it could be overwhelming not to understand all the principles and equations involved. I wonder if that would compromise the promise that He cares about each of us (by putting too much information not readily understandable). Already there's the book of 'begats' which is a huge yawn (except its essential for later reference); I think it would be a stumbling block. But who knows?

And sometimes I wonder, just like it's written 'He made the heavens and earth' and we find out how they were made, that when He made man there was more to it than simply forming clay, that he may have used basic energies and elements in a more sophisticated/complicated manner and he was trying not exclude non-scientific people from his desire to be understood better for a closer individual relationship? God would have to be big enough to use creation OR evolution OR BOTH or both plus something else entirely different if he chose, I figure.

I dunno. If I'd invented Him, perhaps I could explain him better. :)

I was happy in my atheism and became a believer when I least expected it.

There's no need to be embarrassed for being 'slow' to certain beliefs. All our beliefs along the way probably hold some validity - we aren't willingly fools. And I don't think a cool God would require us to close our eyes to wisdom and discovery, especially when he was gracious enough to give us stuff to do that would keep us off the streets.

Interesting there are folks who 'gave up scientific ideas to embrace religion'. I find them stepping stones to coming closer, though no more the be all-end all of life any more than having a believing relationship is. Complacency in any walk of life is a pity, I figure.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins