Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
For Love Of Good And Evil

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Richard Ruquist on December 23, 2000 18:49:55 UTC

From the numerous posts on this forum, both yours and mine, I am developing a philosophy of life and can be succinctly expressed as love of good and evil. In a way it flows from the one new commandment of Christ- to love your enemy. Every other commandment of Christ can be found in the old testament, except maybe for 'judge not lest you be judged'. I have yet to find that one in the old testament. But in a way it is a corollary to love your enemy.

So what more than anything else is your enemy---evil. First of all the evil within yourself and then the evil you see around you. What is evil. In short, it's the seven deadly sins, like greed, avarice, and so on. And what exactly does it mean to love them. That the real question.

My understanding of what that all means is couched on what is commonly called evolution. I take to mean that the the universe and earth is many billions of years old, and that biological life developed in complexity and intelligence over millions of years on earth. So I take evolution to be a fact of nature.

Early in my life I thought of evolution as a form of progress, and I am old enough to have seen considerable progress in my lifetime. But now I realize that such progress what begotten at a considerable price- war and suffering. The essence of biological evolution is survival of the fittest. War between of within species coupled with natural calamities that gave advantage to certain species. In short, evolution epitomizes evil. If you accept the spirit of evolution, then you can justify agression and domination of others, just as Hitler did.

So we should not believe in evolution just as we should not believe in and practice evil. But what does it mean then to love evil.

I suggest that it means to recognize and respect the fact that it got us to where we are today. It was part and parcel of the biological process. It does not mean that we should continue to practice it. But we have to admit that both good and evil, God and the Devil in simple terms, has a place in our creation.

So it comes down to love meaning respect- judge not lest ye be judged.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins