Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE:

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on June 6, 2000 12:30:20 UTC

We are not allowed to have proof, for that would interfere with free will. To elaborate on this point. If we could prove the existence of god or gods, or even the supernatural, then reasonable human beings would be forced to believe. It would be the only reasonable thing to believe.

So god or whatever it is that arranges all the coincidences in my life, also arranges for the freedom of choice based on outside influences, and science is perhaps the strongest outside influence. The only recourse is to look inward to your feelings, which I gather is what he/she wants.

So you can never be absolutely sure if you have a reasonably open mind. Perhaps our reward upon our death will be to find out at last. But on the other hand, there is no proof that we will even find out then. In the meantime I operate on the assumption that it`s all true.

This actually is a scientific approach. Theories are based on postulates or assumptions. I assume that there is a supernatural world and most likely a committee of beings, (aspects of the one god that is probably considerably removed from me), that are concerned with me. My job is to find the best way to enhance my standing with this committee in the hope that I eventually obtain my own position on it. So life for me is like a continious audition for some supernatural role or job.

I do not expect Heaven to be a place of rest, unless it`s just to rest up for another life on Earth. My suspicion is that there`s work to do in the supernatural world as on earth, and if we develop a good enough resume on earth, we get selected for a job. So when things are going well, expect to be tested, just like Job. And remember, just as on earth, there`s all kinds of jobs for all kinds of people.

yanniru

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins