Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Are The Laws Of Physics Unique?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Clerk on January 8, 2004 16:45:31 UTC

Forgive me for commenting on a minor part of your post. But I just finished reading the discussion by Susskind, Smolin, etc. on the www.edge.org site. In this discussion the current state of affairs in string physics is reviewed and discussed. From that discussion, it appears that string physics has reached a cunnumdrum where there are hundreds of possible different systems of physics. So string theory has not derived unique set of the laws of physics.

That is a real difficulty according to them because it is then not possible to make a unique prediction of any experimental outcome and therefore it is not possible to test the theory. This state of affairs would seem to be inconsistent with the findings you attribute to Dr. Dick, and I quote from your post:
"In other words, if God creates a consistent world, it must obey the familiar laws of physics."
Now string theory is consistent according to that Edge discussion. Yet it is not unique. So I am puzzled as to how Dr. Dick found uniqueness followed from consistency. Is that his only assumption?

J

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins