Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You're Welcome. My Comments On Your "defense"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on December 15, 2003 02:39:40 UTC

Hi William,

I was hoping that you would answer my one question about why you think the Bible is trustworthy. But since you responded to my challenge to defend some statements, I'll respond to that. I'd still like to know why you trust the Bible, though.

1, 2. Okay. One of them is true by definition. But you can't use the circular argument that 1 implies 2, and 2 implies 1. How do you know God is a Utilitarian?

3, 4, 5, 10, 11. I would hope that introductory Philosophy courses teach that those tenets have been believed and taught historically, not that they are true. There are many tenets that were believed and taught over the centuries that are known to be false. Why would we think these tenets are true?

6. You have changed your tune. You switched from saying that man's free will causes evil to saying that man's ability to define terms causes evil.

7. Waiting. The part I doubt is that the virus is necessary to the snail.

8. Explain that to the people who had faith in God and who obeyed the rules but just happened to be worshiping in the Lisbon cathedral in 1755 when the earthquake mangled them.

9. Yes I make mistakes but your assertion was about tendencies. I maintain that most people do more good things each day than they do bad things. And, I maintain that there are more good people than bad people. So I claim that most people tend to do the right thing in spite of making some mistakes along the way.

12. I understand that it is basic Christian doctrine. What makes you think basic Christian doctrine is true?

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins