Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
All I See Is Evidence For Death

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Clerk on December 9, 2003 23:19:32 UTC

Dear Wanda,

I am afraid I will not be of much help. I became an atheist just because I see no hope of my "sense of myself" surviving my death, despite strong Christian roots. It seems that your consciousness, whether in waking or dreaming awareness, is linked to electrical activity in the brain. When that activity ceases, the body is declared to be dead. I expect, unless you can provide evidence to the contrary, that one's sense of self also dies.

Without the possibility of survival it seemed foolish to pursue religion, even though I agree with most of the sociological tenets of my former religion. But I guess what I am really trying to say is that despite my inability to contribute anything meaningful to the discussion you are initiating, I do wish to apologize to you for my behavor towards the 'man of many names'. It appears to me that there is respect between everyone on this forum except between him and anybody, especially me.

Rawson

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins