Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It's Alright

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on October 31, 2003 14:48:56 UTC

Fair enough, Mario. I did notice you tend to sound grumpy sometimes, I suppose some days are better than others for you. It doesn't matter anyway, I'm not beyond repproach myself.

I actually thought about this for quite a while since yesterday. I do agree with you that sometimes it's too much to ask of you to put my thoughts into words, because I just can't find the right words. On top of that, I like to use words such as "Language Removed" sometimes, because I'm often moved to reevaluate my beliefs when I'm confronted with outrageous claims. Sometimes I do change my mind as a result. Anyway...

Here's the problem as I see it:

The concept of "randomness" can be misleading sometimes. Many people tend to think randomness, or blind chance, can be a good explanation for certain phenomena, but it's clear in my mind that invoking the concept of chance is nothing more than a confession of ignorance. It's akin to saying "I don't know". And that's, essentially, what evolution theory says about the origins of life: it says "we don't know".

Now I can't possibly understand what's so revealing, interesting, or philosophically relevant about that! So the origin of life is a mystery. Well, tell me something new!

OK, so there are hundreds of different ways of saying "I don't know", a very popular one being "God did it". And I happen to prefer "God did it" over "random mutations over an enormous period of time", for the simple reason that the deception behind the former is far easier to figure out.

Hope that helps

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins