Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Godel's Theorem

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 23, 2003 19:48:58 UTC

I might add, I hypothesize, that even logic and mathematics have 'cause and effect' as a result of Godel's proof of indeterminacy. That is, with any sufficiently rich formal axiomatic system, there must exist theorems that cannot be proven true. This creates an asymmetry between mathematical cause (axiom) and mathematical effect (theorem) since if there were no indeterminacy (i.e., we could prove all theorems of a sufficiently rich formal axiomatic system), then the theorems could be the cause of the axioms since you could (in principle) take all the theorems that are true for the axiomatic system and 'prove' all the axioms of those theorems. This would mean that the axioms would be 'theorems' and the theorems would be 'axioms'. Or, conversely, you only have axioms in mathematics (or you only have theorems) which is ludicrous since if all you have is axioms then nothing is proven, and if you only have theorems, then nothing is conjecture. Perhaps Godel's theorem is a fundamental rule of logic and math such that indeterminancy is primary? Due to Godel's theorem I doubt indeterminacy will go away in quantum physics. In my view, indeterminacy encompasses a deep truth.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins