Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Nice Connection

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on September 3, 2003 01:30:19 UTC

The Tree of Knowledge comes to mind after reading your post. leading one to question if we are still eating of it at our peril.

***I never thought of the tree of knowledge metaphor as extending to nowadays. But I agree that it does. Knowledge may yet be the death of us all.***

looking at our lot in this day and age though it seems likely that a vast multitude would perish in great misery were it not for our dalience with science.

***I am not sure if you are saying that science has saved many lives, or will cost many lives. ***

if science is of the tree of knowledge it seems odd that there are implications within an understanding of science that point to the existance of a power greater than any found in nature hence greater than scientific knowledge.

***I like the idea that this is a prediction of the power of science to end our species. However, I cannot agree that scientific understanding suggests that there is a power in nature that is greater than the power of fusion. Perhaps you refer to the big bang as a higher power than fusion. But that is entirely scientific knowledge. It is not for certain that it ever happened or that it happened because of a higher intelligence. And then the big bang is part of nature.

So I guess you have to explain just what you mean by a "power greater than any found in nature".

I also wonder if there is an escape clause in that biblical story. Is species death a certainty? Perhaps we should read the story again and see - considering the analogy of the tree of knowledge to science and the ability to commit suicide as a species- if there is another way suggested. Or are we committed to eventually destroying ourselves from our knowledge???

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins