Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Tim Took The Words Out Of My Mouth

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on May 26, 2003 02:08:27 UTC

However, I can still talk about god creating evil.

Some find this a bit farfetched, but my view is that god created us via evolution. Yet the basis of evolution in my opinion is evil. The basis is a competition to the death in which species try to gain control of niches in nature as opposed to other species and to other groups within one's own species.

Ultimately this has come down to warfare between tribes and nations. It is basically evil yet it was the means to develop animal (including us) intelligence over the eons. There is room for godlike creativity and guidance, by way of direct revelation or coincidence, within evolution. But the basic means is evil by todays standard.

The problem faced by us and by god, is that warfare helped develop advanced peoples, but now with the advent of nuclear energy, warfare can destroy all that has been created.

So after supporting warfare as in the Bagavita Gita and even genocide as in the Old testament, God has to suddenly change our ways. Jesus taught us to love our enemies. He taught us to be peaceful.

Buddhism did the same for the eastern religions, at times making nations so peaceful, like Tibet as to be vulnerable.

So now warfare is evil. That was not always the case. So the basic nature of humans has to change for humans on earth to survive. Evil is relative to the needs of survival. Survival of the species is paramount. Early on survival was fostered by warlike behavior, but now it endangers us all.

yanniru

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins