Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Clarification

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on May 23, 2003 15:57:52 UTC

The paper I referred to back then was by different authors.

They also started with Fisher Theory, but used it like sampling theory (e.g., like to estimate election results from small samples) which is even closer to what Dick has done in treating data as knowable and unknowable.

I have read Frieden's Chapter 1 a little more closely and found that what he calls shift invariance is actually what Dick calls scale symmetry, and not shift symmetry at all.

So that makes me wrong. I have been claiming that Dick's results come primarily from the assumption of shift symmetry, that the data is independent of position.

In Frieden's approach using scale symmetry or invariance alone, Fisher information [which is just the inverse of the mean squared deviation squared (exact for gaussians) of the probability distribution of the data] is used to derive all the physical laws that Dick derives plus some.

It seems that most physical theory comes from probability theory alone. But I have to read the rest of the book to see if that is so; and I still might not be able to figure out where it all comes from. If Chapter 1 is any indication, however, Frieden spends time explaining the hows and whys of the resulting physical laws.

Having been introduced to such thinking by Dick, we should all find Frieden's book an interesting read, though it is rather mathematical.

yanniru

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins