Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"The Secret Of The Universe"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Tim on March 21, 2003 05:06:31 UTC

its a book. the author's name was Roy King.
is any one familiar with it? the author had a radio talk show back in the 70's.
although my sentiment from having often listened to King's radio show was some what ambivalent (the man seemed a bit eccentric) i did often find myself suprised how he handled people.

any way the book mentioned above was quite interesting. it seemed to draw from a Judeo/Christian outlook of the cosmos. King's background was Jewish but he professed Christian beliefs. as far as i saw he was not aligned with any specific Christian sect.

in his book he professed that before the universe there was utter stillness, changeless and timeless ie. God. then God expressed himself. this expression of God's self where before was stillness, changeless and timeless was a change about God (note: God in no way changed in fact what he expressed was himself [which is stillness, timeless and changeless]) which was changeless, timeless and utterly still hence because of this change time began as well as motion.
further reasoning along these lines was drawn showing analogies between God as the still, changeless and timeless center of the universe and physical phenomenon such as the solar system with the planets swirling about the "still" center of the the solar system, the sun its self spinning about that center. then the galaxies, mostly spiral as we know, the stars and solar systems of those galaxies swirl about super massive blackholes (the center of which time ceases, motion ceases and every thing is crushed down into an infinitesimal stillness). the book goes on to put forth other analogies, the calm still center of a huricane around which revolves incredible fury and power of swirling winds, motion and change. tornadoes would be another example. King goes on to relate this analogy of stillness and motion to the interactions of people. an example would be the President of the United States of America. compared to his nation he is just a man, very much like any other. but when he express's himself a flurry of activity revolves around him that is quite remarkable. for instance the situation in Iraq right now.
King further related the necessities of existance that i don't think we often recognize. examples are in order for motion to exist we need something to measure it against, that would be stillness. the same would be true for time. inorder for matter to exist there must be space for the matter to exist in. space a relatively still geometric abstraction as compared to matter which is always moving and has size and substance. King further carried out this polar opposites idea with charge, postive and negative you can't have one with out the other. then he further carried the idea to the concept of good and evil. his contention was that evil could not exist with out good or at least if it did one would have no way of measuring it to know that it was evil. further happiness could not exist in a world that did not have sadness, well at least that happiness would be relatively meaningless if it were not contrasted by the potential for sadness.
he further drew upon the changeless, timeless, stillness unseeable quality of God when he described the concept of faith. quoting from Scripture "faith is the substance of things unseen, the essence of things hoped for". personally i relate faith to the process of thinking in that a thought can become a real thing. the idea that the realiztion of something hoped for springs forth from faith is further related by King to other words of Scripture "Be still and know that I am God" this direction from God would be a kind of faith, the realiztion of which is God springing forth from stillness.

enough said here for now, i hope some found this banter at least a little interesting.

tim

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins