Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Very Confused, But I Don't Think I'm The Only One.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phillip Martin on January 4, 2003 03:02:58 UTC

"That is to say scary since it was very quick, but reassuring that she didn't wrack her brain over something so small as a person age."

If only I had that gift...

"I think that it really isn't that important in the "Grand Scheme" of things."

This is the part I am confused about. If his age was measured in moons, he, as Stormcrow (I think)said, then he would be about 88 years old... but What about the age of the universe according to the Bible? If I divide 6000 (the age of the universe [since creation] according to the Bible, if I remember right) by 11, I get ~545.5. The entire universe is 546 years old? If they had the same definition for a year as we do, it would be 6000 years, but by moons that is 546 years. Methesulah (sp?) had to have had the same year definition as the universe in the Bible, didn't he? If not, why did they use two separate dating systems? Is is reasonable that they could have used different dating schemes for the two? If so, elaborate.

"I do understand your concern, but I would like to know what scares you more the fact that because the Bible said it was or how quickly she changed her mind?"

Neither. You misunderstood the ending of my post. What amazed me was how absolutely it changed her mind; from refuting it with evidence she believed in, to accepting it as the truth 'no questions asked,' literally. She asked no more questions, that was the end of discussion. What scared me was how easily it changed her mind. 'I is a christian, so I believes this.' She is like far too many people I know, she thinks that if she doesn't believe in even one small aspect, then she is an atheist. Well... you know what I mean (however, if you do not, I will elaborate). That is how I see it. Nothing you tell her now would be able to change her mind, not that you would, being a theist and all. I did make a reference to time, but I did that to put thing in perspective (because I usually take MUCH longer to make up my mind), not as a main point (although it may have sounded as such).

"I know I like to weigh things out in my mind and to have such a quick responce is what scares me not that she used the Bible for her faith."

I see it as almost the opposite. I see the Bible as a representation of religion, and the girl as a representation of the ignorant religous people of the world. In no way do I mean that to be religious a person must also be ignorant. I am talking about only the ignorant ones, the blind followers. I don't see anything but war for the world until this problem is wiped out. Judging by the number of conflicting religions and their followers (mostly blind, I fear), I don't see change coming anytime soon.

"Also why were you surprised he used the Bible?"

I am not sure. I know I was suprised, but I don't know why. Perhaps it was because I thought he would use an unbiased or 'scientific' source (being a world civ class), as opposed to a religious one.

-Phillip Martin

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins