Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It's All About Evidence

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on October 17, 2002 04:17:48 UTC

" Do you believe in relative truth? As in, 'his beliefs are just as good as mine'?"

The only criteria we have to judge which theory is a better descriptor of truth is the evidence that the theory is based on. Thus, newtonian physics is not as valid a theory as relativistic physics. (Newtonian physics cannot explain time dilation, among other phenomena) So "his belief is as good as mine" is not a valid statement if both of your beliefs are based on available evidence: generally, one theory explains the evidence better than another. And the more you have to fall back on statements of belief in order to defend said belief (i.e. Aaron's assertation that incoming light was created en route) the worse the theory is at explaining phenomena, and the more guilty you are of massively begging the question. (assuming what you purport to prove: since the universe is 6000 years old, all evidence must support this hypothesis)

Truth is not relative. Our understanding of it is.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins