Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Dear Chris....

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Sam Patterson on October 14, 2002 15:39:44 UTC

Let me start of by saying this link (if you actually read it) explains most of your questions:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/Magazines/docs/cen_v19n2_animals_ark.asp

"If I remember right(I can admit that I don't alwasy do), you said that the Ark had enough space to fit about 422 rail cars in it...that may be true and it may not..."

Almost. 522.

"First, I think it would take something like a ship the size of a modern day oil tanker to fit all of those creatures in it."

Quite easily. The ark had about only 16,000 individual animals. Only 11% were larger than a sheep. One rail car can hold 240 sheep. At the size of 522 rail cars, that is 125,280 sheep. Enough said.

"Second, I don't think it is possible that the 16 people on board could have taken care of all of those different species for the biblical 40 days and nights."

You don't think? I do think. There have been studies about this, if you truly want to know, I recommend "Noah's Ark: A Feasibility Study"
By John Woodmorappe.

"Third, lets say that there is just enough room to fit all of those species(two each, including the dinosaurs) on the ark...where did they store all of the food? Panda bears eat something like 20 pounds(I want to say 60, but I don't think that is right) of food a day...It just isn't logically possible. Can you explain that?"

It is logically possible. About 15% of the ark would have been required to store it. There was plenty of room for that amount of food.

"Fourth, if I were to read the bible, it would seem that God drowned all of the "bad" people and basically made the best people of the planet live in some very nasty conditions(like shoveling poop, feeding ferocious animals, and living in cramped conditions) for 40 days...why would He do that? Is that a reward for being good?"

Would you rather die or would you rather live in bad conditions? I would rather live! God's reward for them being good was life!

"Fifth, did Noah take two of every species of plants on board as well? Because you can't leave a palm tree or an oak tree or a cactus underwater for 40 days and expect it to live...If Noah did grab some plants too(because you said that the animals ate vegitation), where did he put the plants?"

These links address this:

http://www.icr.org/pubs/btg-b/btg-130b.htm

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c019.html

"Many terrestrial seeds can survive long periods of soaking in various concentrations of salt water.[1] Indeed, salt water impedes the germination of some species so that the seed lasts better in salt water than fresh water.

Other plants could have survived in floating vegetation masses, or on pumice from the volcanic activity. Pieces of many plants are still capable of asexual sprouting.

Many plants could have survived as planned food stores on the ark, or accidental inclusions in such food stores (Genesis 6:21).

Many seeds have devices for attaching themselves to animals, and some could have survived the flood by this means. Others could have survived in the stomachs of the bloated, floating carcasses of dead herbivores."

As you can see, plants could easily have survived the flood.

"Sixth, the bible say that the bird that Noah released brought an olive branch back...apparently olive trees can live underwater for 40 days(at depth of at least 29,028 feet-the hight of Mt. Everst-a depth at which sunlight cannot reach). Can olive trees do that???"

Once again, you do not understand the creation model. Mt. Everst was formed AFTER the flood. The world was much more 'smooth' than now.
Olive trees are quite hardy, and could have survived in a vegatation mat. Then it could have been grounded by receding flood waters, and sprouted quickly.

"I don't expect you to answer to ALL of what I said, just what you can explain."

Well, I guess I exceeded your expectations. I've answered them all.

Sam, KC2GWX

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins