Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
This Argument Is Completely Faulty

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 13, 2002 04:57:15 UTC

***Although seemingly insignificant in themselves, the anomalous K-Ar "model ages" for these recent andesite flows at Mt Ngauruhoe, New Zealand, lead to deeper questions. Why is there excess40Ar* in these rocks?***

I cannot explain all of science to you. However, an answer to your argument is that exceptions in science do occur, and this is fact. There are exceptions to every theory and equation in science. Many of these exceptions are unexplained, and sometimes require speculation on the part of scientists with the hope of uncovering a legitimate reason for the exceptions. What you do not cite is the scientific publication where these exceptions are cited (i.e., peer reviewed), and we do not know if this research has already been adequately answered.

What you are doing, is a completely unconvincing response with regard to the accuracy of radiometric dating. Rather than try to explain how radiometric dating can be so accurate given the cross references, and common fossils found in the rocks of given dates, rather you look for an exception and ask how excess argon could leak into a rock. This exception is limited to specific events, which no doubt do require better explanation (although this should come from peer reviewed work, and not internet links on creationist sites), however this is not near enough to even properly question the science itself.

You can find exceptions to any field of science, and if this means that those exceptions completely falsifies a field of science, then we should all cast off science and start teaching pre-scientific beliefs of the world. This, in fact, is what creationism is about. It merely ignores the exceptions in other areas of science lest everyone, including politicians and PTA board members, see that creationists are simply anti-science in general. It's all based on deception (Dr.Evil stuff with the pinky near the mouth with the mo-haha laugh...).

Because of your indoctrination by your parents and other close relationships, you depend on exceptions to endorse your beliefs. For this reason, unless you change, I can't see you becoming enlightened by science. Rather, you will be limited to be a rather ignorant individual of science regardless what you learn about science.

***I'm not going to post any more links, because I don't want you yelling and screaming at me. Just read some of what I have, and if you want more, I'll get it.***

Stop with the links altogether. Just make your arguments here. Stop with the exceptions, this is not convincing unless you can show a widespread conspiracy in science to suppress a large percentage of exceptions. For example, if the exceptions are extremely high, and there are scientific articles in accredited journals (I gave a list of those journals which you ignored - which is common with you not to respond), then you might have some grounds for an argument.

The case against your stance is very strong. Yet, you haven't even begun to answer it.

Sam, why don't you just drop the pretenses here. We know what all this is all about. It is about your radical fundamentalist beliefs and that you are a young kid who wants other people to believe those fundamentalist beliefs. I don't think you should show interest in science as a defense of your fundamentalism. Obviously you have no interest in science, it is religion that interests you. So, don't even bother with science. You don't even bother to learn much of it before opening your mouth anyway. You are more hot air then content.

Unfortunately your circuits to take criticism and grow from criticism has already been short-circuited by your home schooling indoctrination. You are in effect, hopeless. Too bad, at a time in your life when your real education should be beginning, you have already been thoroughly indoctrinated. This is a real problem for the world in general, the effects of indoctrination from fundamentalism. Us, humans, as a bunch are inclined to severe fundamentalism and thereby short-circuiting our ability to have rational thought. I cannot think of anything more likely to contribute to our extinction. You and Aaron do not spell much hope for the future since you guys represent the youth, and rational thought is almost completely missing from your thoughts. I hope and pray to God that you guys do not represent the future.

I'm beginning to agree with Mike's accessment. I probably shouldn't be debating with either of you guys. Obviously you are irrational and there's no hope of appealing to you. I'll only make comments here and there just to remind others of your irrational and indoctrinated views. You guys are never gonna be where I hoped you still could be. All I can say is that your parents succeeded in brainwashing you through home schooling. They get an 'A'.

Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins