Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Noticed That

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on September 17, 2002 18:19:33 UTC

I think we've had this same conversation about fifteen times before

And you still don't get it...

I know that most religious people aren't fundamentalists, however that does not mean that those non-fundies don't make religious statements intended to objectively describe the universe.

This is fallacious! It may be true for a lot of people in the United States, I think I have said before that Americans are quite funny when it comes to religion, but it's certainly not true in every culture.

Did you know that this silliness called creationism does not exist in any other country, Christian or otherwise? I think that's food for thought.

In my opinion, the first guy is mistaken because he is making absolute statements about the nature of reality without sufficient evidence to do so, and hence his beliefs are unverifiable and unteneble. In addition, his beliefs are perfectly disprovable by science, since it falls smack dab into science's ballpark. (observational reality)

Is the statement "America is a good place to live" an absolute statement about the nature of reality? Is it true? Universally true?

Is the statement "The universe is a good place to live" an absolute statement about the nature of reality? Is it true? Universally true?

In what sense does the statement "God loves us" differ from the statement "The universe is a good place to live"?

You can't be a religious person and not fall into one of the two categories. Either you think your beliefs are universally true or you don't.

This sentence makes no sense at all. For one, what does "true" mean? It probably doesn't mean what I think of it, because "universally true" implies there are things which are true but not universally true.

If you want to discuss what is truth, I suggest you do your homework first, this is a very complex subject. Above all, it's very important to be aware that what you think people are saying seldom happens to be what they truly mean.

You also have to keep in mind that people seldom are philosophically sophisticated, mostly because philosophical sophistication is useless, unless you happen to like philosophy. Most people have no problem resorting to myth, legend, metaphor, social conventions, when they're trying to make an important point. They do that because most of the time the message gets through, which is what matters. They will say "God will provide" knowing full well that no angel will come from heaven and put food in the table.

You have to appreciate the fact that the universe is too complex to be understood or described. Religion provides useful metaphors which help us communicate some of the most subjective aspects of our existence. To deny religion is to deny humanity itself.

Shall we go for the 16th round?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins