Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Doubtful

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 16, 2002 18:05:26 UTC

Rich,

Although there are hints of Buddhist influences in the Middle East and the Greco-Roman world (e.g., Greek philosophers such as Heraclitus), it is doubtful that Buddhism exerted a great influence in the first century - especially in Palestine. I don't know for certain, but I don't think that historians have established a direct link between Buddhism and Greecian or Roman philosophies. For a clearer look at the world that Jesus no doubt experienced, I suggest reading the Dead Sea scrolls. The context of the period, I think, more heavily explains the reasons that Jesus' 'words' became as popular as they did (and still live even today).

*** In fact, Siddhartha Guatama's message was much more involved and peace loving. Lao Tzu was also of the same ilk. Also much earlier than Jesus.***

I've read both, and I disagree with what you are saying. From what we can tell, Jesus preached the concept of liberty and freedom from certain religious laws that became too restrictive and harsh, something that I think undermines our Western concepts of what is a superior morality. I personally don't think it is any concidence that the Western world as well as the advancement of science emerged from Christian nations. I can't think of a non-Christian country (i.e., by tradition) that I would choose to live more than the countries having this tradition. Can you?

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins