Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You Mean Beck Beers, Not BEC Beers

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 11, 2002 18:23:04 UTC

How can the brain use BECs? You need to be close to absolute zero for BECs to form. Besides, I think there's a difference between a kind of matter that shares common properties (e.g., atoms in a BEC) and holism. Bosons happen to have the property of being able to share the same energy state as their neighbor, when the probable distribution of states are limited by outside temperature, this is how BEC can form (forgive me for my non-physics description). Therefore, there is a reductive explanation (i.e., reduction law) to BEC behavior. However, ontological holism would be a view that you cannot provide any exact reduction law to explain the phenomena in question.

I think my question is whether you think 'thought' is reducible according to some law (i.e., bridge rules) which somehow directly cause 'thoughts'? The general holist position would be that if such laws exist, they are not stateable (i.e., they cannot scientifically be phrased in any human or mathematical language) - or, they simply do not exist.

If you think the former, then how do deal with the related causative issues that I mentioned? On the other hand, if you accept some form of holism then how can matter be a consequence of thought if the answer is not fully reducible to the components of the brain?

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins