Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Community Vs. Ego = Deslusional "Metaphysics."

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on September 8, 2002 16:07:05 UTC

Kyle,

>>>"are the actual concepts that we construct in our minds actually shaped/ influenced by the particular 'code' that we use?"

I think by the time we begin to recognize others as beings we've developed the personal 'code' all future 'codes' will succumb to. This initial code is holist/anthropically biased; I think this first 'code' prevents many folks from even momentarily being able to see around it.

~Birth (maybe even conception, followed by birth, if you wish).

Mental concept => input => revised mental concept

~Repeat for 12 months.

My mental concept => input => my revised mental concept

~Repeat for two more years. By this time we've got a tenacious grip on two things: "self" and "other-than-self." As a function of self-interest, that thing that has helped us survive, our first 'code' thus equates self with everything else. This, of course, is part and parcel of why our species is around (= the WAP).

My mental concept => (communication) => Other 'selves' . . . hold on a cotton pickin' minute!

However, another human characteristic responsible for our success thus far is society. And once we recognize that there are other 'selves,' our mind finds that it must maintain its egoism and somehow adhere to society. Hence, the revised model "self," "other selves," and "other-than-selves" allows for our egoism (and boosts community) by crystallizing some fundamental, first 'code' that preserves the ego and sense of community.

-LH

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins