Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Luis! Down Here....!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kyle on September 11, 2002 17:06:45 UTC

Thanks Luis!
It’s well known that if a person gets a brain lesion in Wernicke’s Area they can develop a paraphasia in which they can conceptualize an object normally -- but they can’t actually say the corresponding word. What is interesting is that if a deaf person who uses sign language acquires a similar lesion in this same brain locus, they find it impossible to make the proper hand gesture that corresponds to their mental concept.
So there’s no doubt that neurophysiology and psychology enhance the understanding of language that philosophy has given us!
Thanks again…it’s always nice to hear agreement from someone who’s opinion you respect!
J
Kyle
PS. Thanks for the welcome in the post above… It’s so good to be here!

Hi Luis,
I wanted to chew on what you said a bit before I responded (and then I got swamped with other work- followed by trouble accessing this site—sorry!)...and so now this thread is way the heck down here...
I have to keep reminding myself that this forum has that same temporal quality that life seems to have: it marches inexorably onwards with or without you, whether you’re ready or not!

Anyway you said: "I think by the time we begin to recognize others as beings we've developed the personal 'code' all future 'codes' will succumb to."

That’s a great insight to take into consideration the initial development (and significance) of that nascent ‘proto-code’—which indeed would be holist/ anthropically biased at first! I never considered it that way, but it makes total sense.

This is really perceptive and well-put: "And once we recognize that there are other 'selves,' our mind finds that it must maintain its egoism and somehow adhere to society. Hence, the revised model "self," "other selves," and "other-than-selves" allows for our egoism (and boosts community) by crystallizing some fundamental, first 'code' that preserves the ego and sense of community."

Again I didn’t see it that way until you pointed it out-- but I think your take on it is bang on. And like you mentioned, any individual who lacked this ability to revise/ develop their mental concepts would be less likely to pass on their genes!

Thanks Luis,
Kyle

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins