Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
God And Science

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott on August 30, 2002 00:31:21 UTC

QUOTE:
-------------------------------
Although the Bible does not, you also tell jokes!
-------------------------------

Well, I'm certainly no biblical scholor, so I can't start quoting lines of scripture. But I'm aware of the fact that there many examples of humour and humerous situations in the Bible.

QUOTE:
------------------------------
Meanwhile, you and Yanniru are both saying the Bible anticipated Darwin.
-----------------------------

In a sense, yes. Again, I'm not exactly qualified to start quoting examples off the top of my head, but in a metaphorical sense, I feel that it does.

QUOTE:
I guess you find the hints about how to build transistors, solid state circuitry, microchips and molecular machines in the Bible too...eh?

No, now you're putting words in my mouth. Let's not forget that most of us are fully aware that the Bible was written by men--interpretting holy tradition based upon their contemporary realities. The Holy Bible is in essence a history of the Jewish people and the surrounding cultures of the Middle East. Archealogy has done a great deal to support much of its historical accuracy.

That aside, when I say that God gave us the building blocks of science, I mean exactly that. I believe in a Supreme Being--call it "the Force, Luke," if you wish--but I believe that there is a Higher Power that no mere human could ever begin to understand. Yet, I choose to believe that this Higher Power is what served as a catalyst for this creation we call the universe--this Higher Power binds it all together in a sense. Science is merely the tool by which we measure this thing we call nature--and gives us the means of working and building as we learn. Science basically is our secular understanding of something which we have a long way to go before we can ever truly master the vast mysteries on which our universe runs.

I doubt we can ever truly unlock all the mysteries. That's an destinction reserved for God, if there ever was one. Still, I think God knew what he was doing when he provided the means by which humans have the intelligence and drive to explore science and to evolve. Did we evolve from primates? I would say, yes. That doesn't mean that God didn't have a master plan. I think it's fairly evident. I think it's a miracle. And who's to say that science isn't a miracle? That DNA isn't a miracle? That life forming from primative proteins and amino acids in a tiny pool of proverbial "pond scum" isn't a miracle?

QUOTE:
------------------------
It's funny you should mention it -- certainly you know the secular legal system is the one that outlaws killing people. The Bible seems to condone it, and so does the Bhagavad Gita etc.
------------------------

Our secular laws are based on traditional moral principles. Have you ever heard of the Ten Commandments? Thou shall not kill. Thou shall not steal...etc.

There's no question that the Old Testament is much more blood thirsty than the New Testament. A much more angry and vengeful God. An eye for eye, etc. Christ turned God into a God of peace. Turn the other cheek, etc. The philosophy definitely changes to a measurable degree.

QUOTE:
----------------------------
And certainly, animals, plants and microbes seem fair game.
---------------------------

That's simply the food chain, for which God made us masters, according to Genesis.

QUOTE:
I can see you're beginning to think about these matters. That's good...unless you screw it up like 100,000 other church thinkers have.

I'm BEGINNING to think about these matters? Considering you don't know me, that's a rather presumptious statement, don't you think?

Also, be careful not to lump all "church thinkers" (whatever that means) into one basket. Theology is every bit as vast as science. By the way, I happen to be one of those church GOERS. Does that make me incapable of scientific thought?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins