Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You Want Me To Define It?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on August 14, 2002 17:19:35 UTC

Hi Aurino,

I have stopped for lunch so I looked at the forum. I had promised myself I wouldn't do that as I have too many things to do.

Aurino: Do you think reality is a set of numbers? I'm convinced you don't, so why do you choose to define reality that way?

I have absolutely no idea what reality is; however, what ever it is, if a communicable description of it exists, it can be expressed in a numerical code. So why not work with a completely general sample of a numerical code and see what can be said about that.

Aurino: First, we have to assume a few things:

1. Reality exists

Not really; my attack works whether or not it actually exists! If you do not understand that, we need to discuss it.

Aurino: 2. Some aspects of reality can be cast in the form of a theory

Then I do not know what you mean by "a theory". In my head, a theory begins as a proposition which might or might not be true. Before we can even think about such an idea we must first consider how we are going to represent the information we have to work with. How can we make a proposition about something the representation of which we haven't yet defined?

Aurino: 3. It's possible, but not known until our theorizing process is complete, that some aspects of reality cannot be theorized

Now that line is completely beyond me! "Some aspects of reality cannot be theorized?" We cannot make any propositions to consider? I have no idea what you are trying to say. In my head, theorizing about anything is way down the road somewhere; certainly not of any concern to me at this point!

As an aside, it appears to me that you are trying to coerce me into using a model of reality created by my subconscious. I am willing to do that but I insist that only those logical constructs which can be exactly defined be used. Otherwise, one has major problems defending any perspective.

Sorry about that -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins