Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Almost Humorous.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Sam Patterson on June 8, 2002 01:11:52 UTC

"Maybe I'm mistaken, but one of the benefits of going to public school is that you get out from underneath the purse strings of your parents whom already exercise a great deal of influence in your life. Home schools are without question usually better at educating effectively, however if there are 'gaps' or prejudices, these will be passed along to you."

You are mistaken. My parents do influence me, but not nearly as much as I think you think they do.
Do you think I do what they say like a robot? No!
I get the feeling you think I am a five year old, doing what they say, thinking they know everything, never confronting them. I'm 16! I have arguements with my parents! I disagree with several things they believe.

"You have received, what apparently to me, is nothing short of an indoctrination. That might be okay for going to college and even getting a job, but when it comes to understanding the world that is 'out there', I feel genuinely sorry for your situation. That's not to say you can't overcome some of the disadvantages, but 16 is very late in life to be exposed to other cognitive frameworks and being able to have an open mind about those other frameworks."

This paragraph is ridiculous. But maybe I should ask what 'cognitive frameworks' are before I start getting annoyed.

"You have a way of ending the discussion and this doesn't allow you the opportunity to come to a point to where you begin to contradict and propose preposterous notions (e.g., what Aaron began to do with light speed being so variable as to account for all stellar history taking place in 6,000 years). When you don't follow through with being contradicted, you won't clearly see the erroneousness of your beliefs."

Well I must do this without thinking about it, because I do not intend to cut a conversation short. Sorry. And, so far, I have seen no contradictions.

"Sorry I have to provide this message as tough as I have, but I'm afraid that your hard-headedness is the reason. I don't consider you a troll though. I hope you don't consider me one either."

That wasn't too harsh. And I'm glad you don't consider me a troll. I don't think you are one either. Of course, I'm not sure what a troll really is. (At least not what it is in this forum) KC2GWX 73's

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins