Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Ok

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Sam Patterson on May 16, 2002 17:37:25 UTC

"Please. The astronomy thing is a terrible example, and I'll tell you why. What seperates an intelligent signal from a natural one is the range of hertz that it transmits it. If it's all over the place (white noise) then it's natural. But if it broadcasts over a very narrow range of freqs (like 2-3 hertz) then it's artificial. No known natural transmission can produce a signal this narrow. It's why, when you're tuning a radio, it's white noise for a while, but when you get near to a station, you hear that squeal. The content of the message does not matter, just the way in which it is delivered."

Not to sound rude, but do you have a ham radio license? I do. Anyway, I think you misunderstood
the question. If an obvious message was recieved from space to earth, like teletype or morse code (smart aliens) you would obviously asumme that it came from an intelligent source. The same with the amazing complexity of life. If you were an alien visiting this planet and you saw the complexity of life here, you would probably say it was created. When you look at a swiss watch, you don't say, 'well it was probably a bunch of metal bits in a bag that just came togheter over time. Now, I don't like to use this arguement of design, because it doesn't get anyone anywhere. So forget that question. I should not have used it in the first place.

Me: "Which came first, DNA or the proteins needed by DNA --- which can only be produced by DNA? --- Seems to me, the only Scientific answer is that it all had to be Created at the same time!"

You: "No, the amino acids formed proteins which eventually formed a self-replicating molecule. It was probably so simple that calling it 'DNA' may even my a misnomer."

Hmm....You seem to disagree with Scott. Here is his answer to the exact same question.

The question again: "Which came first, DNA or the proteins needed by DNA --- which can only be produced by DNA? --- Seems to me, the only Scientific answer is that it all had to be Created at the same time! Please explain."

Scott's answer: "This is a question that is still trying to be figured out!! Does that mean we throw away all of science as we know it. Just because we ran into a wall in our knowledge. I don't think the answer is just, "well, we don't know so it must have been a God". Science looks and needs more."

I'm not sure who is right.

And you did not answer this question: "If the solar system evolved, why do three planets spin backwards? Why do at least 6 moons revolve backwards?"

KC2GWX (My ham radio license callsign issued to me
by the FCC) :) 73's

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins