Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The God OR Science Forum

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Richard Ruquist on May 12, 2002 19:18:33 UTC

Judging from recent posts, the posters on this forum either believe in science or believe in god, and never the twain shall meet.

I prefer the attitude that we, or at least some of us, should endeavor to believe in both God and Science, and to find as much consistency between the two concepts as possible.

Before continuing in order to avoid purely rhetorical responses, I must define what science and what god is. I define science to be the realm of everything that can be repeatably detected and quantified. This includes history as well as the branches of science that can be understood mathematically.

I define God to be everything else that can be thought to exist. So there are multiple concepts of god from the psychological, to the purely supernatural, and to the creator of the universe who controls our every thought, plus everything in between.

My goal on this forum is to determine, based on our current scientific understanding, what limited concepts of god are compatible with science. I won't go into my views as I have expounded on them considerably in the past, except that I think it is possible to define compatible concepts of god and find evidence for their reality.

I wonder if any of you share this goal or is mine a lonely road.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins