Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: All Is Relative

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on April 10, 2002 23:34:49 UTC

Scott,

***If everything is relative - (examples; time, morals, space, mike's girlfriend)***

I don't think all is relative, otherwise that would be relative, and that would be relative, ad infinitum.

***Then isn't all reality fundamentally different as perceived by the indiviual. I understand I may be out of my area with this question, but it seems all the talk of reality is really pointless. In a world where all is realitive to the individual, is there really in true reality other than what we can first hand perceive.***

I don't think metaphysics is pointless, but it can be foolish to pursue some type of foundationalist perspective (especially if you think you've proven some result that must be true 'out there').

***You will never know or understand my reality because my decisions and experience have taken me on such a different path. I am sure my "work" hasn't been thought out enough for mike, but I would surely appreciate a dignified response to my query.***

I don't think we can know or understand your reality, but I think we can find common frames of reference that make communication about reality possible. For example, you can reference key moments (e.g., that concert that you and Mike attended) and begin to understand you (although never fully understanding you). Similarly, we may not be able to fully comprehend reality, but we might be able to form reasonable notions about the real world simply by accepting some a priori notions about the world. As an example, think of what mathematics provides for physics and chemistry. Mathematics allows theories to be formed that are fairly consistent with all our observations of nature, hence it becomes an excellent tool to in forming reasonable notions of the world. It acts as a reference for all of physics and much of science. The success of science goes a long way in justifying its continued use as well as forming reasonable conclusions about what we cannot observe (e.g., inside a blackhole).

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins